Sunday, October 7, 2012

"From My New Life In The Mountains"

I would like to start this post by apologizing for my lack of consistent blogging. It has been two months since my move to the great San Juan Mountains, and I have been quite a slacker at keeping everyone updated in the going ons of my new life.

I have been a very busy girl with all there is to explore in my new surroundings. The seasons have moved from lush green and nearly constant rain, to days of blue skies and golden/orange/red leaves, to brown grasses and snow covered peaks. I have found myself without much connection to the rest of the world and with way too much to go see and do. Below is a summary of my new life from the beginning of August to the end of September.

My cute teeny little new town. Rico, Colorado. Population: 200 or so!
There are no longer flaming orange/red sunsets for me. There is now a time when the sun goes behind a mountain and light stays in the sky for a few hours.
I have been doing A LOT of fishing...oh yes I have!
This would be the ultimate zipline!
This road could lead one to the Colorado Trail and eventually to Silverton or Durango!
Exploring the random trail behind the house!
A scene I see every morning and evening to and from work!
8.25.12 Taking the scenic route up Woods Lake Trail to Navajo Basin on our way to climb 14,017 ft. Wilson Peak. We did a 14 mile loop that day!
Gladstone Peak, Mt. Wilson and El Diente in our sights!
Navajo Lake
Navajo Basin behind us.
At the Rock of the Ages Mine
From the Rock of the Ages Saddle.
One mile left and our final push up the hardest part, our destination behind us!
Looking for any signs of a trail.
"Straddle that mountain, Bitch!"
Gladstone and Mt. Wilson behind.
Sitting on the false summit, looking up at at our challenging climb up the to the summit.
Hug a mountain!
The view from the top!
Tebow tribute with the WhichWich bag!
Looking back down at the false summit and the rest.
Made a loop to go back down the Rock of the Ages Trail
This little feller came right up to us!
Looking back up at our peak.
Wilson Peak the next morning through a telescope from Woods Lake Campground! Someone is on top!
I have been back to Grand Junction quite frequently to get my desert fix in!

Meet Bob. I nearly ran Bob over. In return for not doing so, he posed for me!
Had to make it back to Palisade for the annual tradition of the Colorado Mountain Winefest!
During Powderhorn Resort's Fall Fest, we biked the West Bench trail to the first lift. Then rode down the service roads to the lodge for music and beer!
I tend to like to drive back from Grand Junction to Telluride for work on Monday mornings. Glad I did because I finally got to see the first snow of the season on Mt. Sneffels!
Driving into Rico after work, the clouds parted to create a glow of colors on Dolores Mountain behind Rico.
Just a thousand feet or so above my new office, the snow is falling.
The morning of September 26, the first snow on Expectation Mountain, as seen from my front deck!
And a short time later, down the road. I took this shot of 14,017 ft. Wilson Peak on my way to work. Hard to believe just a month earlier I was standing on top of the majestic mountain!
I love rear view shots!







Okay, so it wasn't exactly September, but it sure felt like it in Cortez, CO! On my way to New Mexico, I had to take a slight detour to check out Phil's World!

No comments: